The Society for Marketing Professional Services (SMPS), the premier AEC marketing and business development association, chose to Pivot & Focus in response to the unforeseen circumstances of the past six months. Nationwide, programming and planning converted over to virtual platforms and a revised approach. Conferences were postponed and then went virtual. New tools and workshops emerged as a result. We were in a world where everything seemed to be changing daily.
Likewise, the SMPS New York Chapter (SMPS-NY) also pivoted, focusing hard on the needs of our members and greater AEC community and reacted in kind with continuous connection and resources. Under the leadership of 2019-2020 Chapter President Katherine DeMercurio, Director of Marketing at EverGreene Architectural Arts, Inc., we went from “zero to hero!” In the course of a just a few short weeks, where all in-person programming and meetings were cancelled, our event calendar soon blossomed again with events designed to reconnect, cope with the drastic changes, and opportunities to continue to grow, learn, and persevere, for ourselves and our companies. It’s been a wild ride, and captured brilliantly in Kat’s President’s Platform, which also includes a recap of the last year’s initiatives and achievements. Please take a gander!
As we all experienced a very unusual spring and summer, the SMPS-NY leadership team has been busy behind the scenes plowing ahead with some very atypical planning and transitions. Plans were made, then changed, then changed again. After a successful Board election process, we are proud to have a strong, diverse, enthusiastic and energized team to lead us into what we know will be another year of pivots, workarounds, and innovative solutions. Our goal is to be the same reliable, professional resource you’ve come to expect. During our virtual planning sessions, we:
- Revisited our 5-Year Strategic Plan
- Developed a mission and goals for the coming year
- Addressed membership recruitment and retention tactics
- Planned compelling and useful programming for the coming year for AEC marketers and business developers in all career stages
Historically, New York City prides itself on offering the best of the best. This year, SMPS-NY will embrace this mentality and lead the pack by example, in every aspect. It is my goal that this theme will motivate all of us to thrive and shine. Together, we’ll be New York (and New Jersey) Tough (borrowing gratefully from Governor Cuomo). We will be all about success and resilience, despite recent events and challenges. That is our charge, and we are driven to continue to serve.
To kick off our new term, we are very proud to announce the 2020-2021 SMPS-NY Executive Committee and Board of Directors. This team reflects the diverse and valued leadership and skill sets it will take to allow us to achieve the task we’ve set before us. Please join me in welcoming them all:
- President: Andrew J. Weinberg, FSMPS, CPSM—Director of Business Development, LF Driscoll Healthcare
- Vice President/President-Elect: Brian C. Ferry—Senior Manager, Marketing and Strategic Communications, CNY Group
- Immediate Past-President: Katherine DeMercurio—Director of Marketing, EverGreene Architectural Arts, Inc.
- Secretary: Alicia Koledin—Founding Principal, AKcelerate
- Treasurer: Atena Vladu—Senior Marketing Manager, Langan
Board of Directors
- Professional Development: Alexa B. Antopol—Chief Intelligence Officer, Fisher Dachs Associates
- Membership: Elizabeth Bellsey—Communication Manager, BAM Creative
- Diversity & Inclusion: Tiffany Carter—Marketing Manager, OneLux Studio
- Westchester/Hudson Valley Affiliate: Elissa Delfico—President, M Delfico Marketing & Events
- Programs: Lexi Fritz—Marketing Specialist, Tetra Tech
- Communications & Public Relations: Manjola Gjini—Proposal Manager, AKRF, Inc.
- New Jersey Affiliate: Kimberly Graham—Senior Marketing Specialist, Stantec
- Sponsorship: Rory McMahon—Healthcare Practice Area Marketing Specialist, Perkins Eastman
- Special Events: Nicole Veenstra—Senior Marketing Coordinator, Langan
- Director-At-Large/Chapter Champion: Sharyn Yorio, FSMPS, CPSM—Managing Principal, Next Phase Collaborative