2019 Liberty Ball Recap
Thursday, June 6, 2019: an evening as perfect as a Frank Sinatra song … a New York City night to remember!
On this beautiful late spring evening, approximately 100 marketing professionals headed to the swanky rooftop lounge at the Hudson Terrace in New York City to attend SMPS-NY’s 2019 Annual Meeting and Liberty Ball. With unobstructed views of the Intrepid and Hudson River, the venue offered the perfect setting for a whirlwind night full of networking, awards, breathtaking sunsets, and a view of the grand finale of fireworks from the outdoor rooftop terrace!
During the extended networking dinner, attendees enjoyed delicious food and drinks while connecting with other industry experts and fellow colleagues. A highlight of the night for me was the personal touch added to the two signature cocktails thanks to our generous sponsors: a “Rockin Robin” cocktail courtesy of Lilker Associates in honor of our beloved past president Robin Carathanasis, and “The Carlyle” named after fellow Special Events Committee member Carlyle Lobo, courtesy of Cerami Associates. These delicious cocktails encouraged us to raise a toast for Robin and Carlyle who both won Professional Achievement Awards!
After mixing and mingling for over an hour, guests made their way to the annual meeting and awards presentation hosted by our very own (and much loved!) SMPS-NY President, Kourtenay Hanrahan. After all, it wouldn’t be a proper year-end celebration if we didn’t take a trip down memory lane and reminisce about the past year!
In an effort to make us all emotional, President-Elect Katherine DeMercurio surprised Kourtenay with a beautiful recap video, courtesy of our in-kind sponsor FRAME. Set to the soundtrack of “High Hopes” by Panic! At The Disco (one of Kourtenay’s favorite bands), the video highlighted SMPS-NY’s events throughout 2018 and 2019.. This epic recap filled our audience with many laughs and maybe a few tears; click here to check out the video and relieve some of this year’s best moments!
After helping us reminisce, Kat gave us a sneak peek into the future by introducing our 2019-2020 Board of Directors:
- Immediate Past-President: Kourtenay Mott Hanrahan
- President-Elect/Vice President: Andrew Weinberg
- Secretary: Atena Vladu
- Treasurer: Brian Ferry
- Director of Professional Development: Alexa Antopol
- Director of Membership: Elizabeth Bellsey
- Director of Communications: Tiffany Carter
- Director of the New Jersey Affiliate: Kristy Cerullo
- Director of the Westchester and Lower Hudson Valley Affiliate: Elissa Delfico
- Director of Leadership: Kyle Fischer
- Director of Programs: Lexi Fritz
- Director-at-Large: Sarah Hoff
- Director of Public Relations: Nathan Reyna
- Director of Special Events: Nicole Veenstra
Let’s take a minute to congratulate them with a round of applause… wherever you’re reading this!
Now for even more people deserving of applause: our award winners! Longstanding SMPS member (and new President-Elect) Andrew Weinberg did the honors of announcing the impressive Professional Achievement Award recipients, while Kourtenay returned to the stage to reveal the Marketing Communications Awards winners.
Professional Achievement Awards
- Vanguard of the Year: Robin Carathanasis
- Marketer of the Year: Keith Kennedy
- The Rising Star: Carlyle Lobo
- Mary Findlen Scholarship Grant: Ali Panditrao
Marketing Communications Awards
- Holiday Piece
- Award of Excellence: Entro | CVEDesign
- Award of Excellence: Structure Tone
- Project Pursuit Marketing
- Award of Excellence: LERA Consulting Structural Engineers
- Promotional Campaign
- Award of Excellence: EYP
- Merit Award: CetraRuddy Architecture
- Social Media
- Award of Excellence: Structure Tone
- Merit Award: AKRF
- Award of Excellence: Howard L. Zimmerman Architects
- Merit Award: Dattner Architects
- Award of Excellence: VHB
- Merit Award: MDLX
- People’s Choice Award (chosen by attendees): MDLX
Kourtenay also took the time to award the President’s Cup, which is given to an individual who has shown a next-level dedication to SMPS-NY and to SMPS as an organization. The recipient exemplifies service, advocacy, engagement, loyalty and generosity. In my opinion, this year’s winner was the perfect choice! Let’s give a BIG round of applause (last one, I promise) to Jessica Schrader, Senior Project Manager at Entro | CVEDesign, and member of the TME and Special Events committees!
After showing some love for our winners, we wrapped up the night with more celebrating and networking with the backdrop of a beautiful sunset over the Hudson River. To our surprise and delight, the night ended in a breathtaking display of fireworks. Were they planned in our honor? The world may never know, but it made for a night that was truly unforgettable!
If you’ve already started counting down the days to the 2020 Liberty Ball, relive the excitement of this year with our photo gallery. We can’t wait to see you at our next event!