Alexis M. Newman, MBA
Senior Marketing Specialist
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (SGH)
President 2017-2018, SMPS New York
“Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.”
When I think of Spring, the first thing that comes to mind is growth. As I witnessed last weekend in Central Park, gorgeous flowers are blossoming, the sun is shining, and new growth is popping up all over the place. (You can check out my Instagram account to see what I mean!) So, as I walked through the park taking in all the blooming beauty around me, I started thinking about you, our remarkable members, and how you are growing in your careers.
Have you thought about professional growth lately? In this fast-paced environment, many of us know that we can only succeed if we stay ahead of the curve, constantly questioning, learning, and growing. So, why wait? This season, I’d like to challenge you to think about growing (…professionally, that is). The Society envisions a future where we as AEC marketers transform our business through marketing leadership. I say, let’s start that transformation today by becoming the best marketing leaders we can be.
Here are some ways you can start today, with a little help from your friends at SMPS New York. Let the growing begin!
- Learn about growing as a Certified Professional Services Marketer at our CPSM Info Session on May 2
- Grow your network and help lead the charge to fight cancer at our New Member Mixer and Spring Spirits: Fundraising for Relay for Life on May 3
- Become a chapter leader (Board nominations are open until May 4)
- Show off your proposal ‘street cred’ and learn from others by attending our Annual Proposal Swap at the next Coordinators Club on May 11
- Amplify Your Voice and Elevate Your Game at our half-day Leadership Workshop on May 18
- Celebrate marketing leadership and submit an entry for the Liberty Awards (Entries are due May 7!)
- Highlight individual leaders at all levels by nominating them for a Professional Achievement Award
- Highlight your marketing team’s leadership by submitting for a Marketing Communications Award
- Grow your skills by Volunteering on a Committee
PURPLE POW-WOW WITH SMPS-NY MEMBER CHRIS SORIA
Speaking of volunteering, I’m excited to let you get to know one of our superstar volunteers. Chris Soria has been killing it on our SMPS-NY New Jersey Affiliate Committee. Read a little bit about Chris below.
- How did you become involved in the AEC industry? I get asked this question a lot by marketers just starting their AEC journey. I think, like most people I’ve talked to, I stumbled into the industry. I gained some B2B marketing and proposal experience early in my career that happened to be transferable to our industry. I consider it a happy accident that has opened the door to so many amazing opportunities and exposed me to topics that I have become very passionate about like great design, infrastructure, and clean water for humans and wildlife!
- What brought you to SMPS? I was really looking for a place to find other professionals who were like me, trying to find their way in the industry. I started out by participating as a protégé in the New York Chapter’s Mentorship Program where I had the chance to see firsthand that there was a life beyond formatting staff resumes and project descriptions. Seeing others who climbed to leadership ranks within their firms inspired me to “dig in” and build a long-term career in the industry.
- What do you hope to get out of your SMPS New York membership this year? I would like to take a more active leadership role in the chapter’s New Jersey Affiliate Committee. We’ve been able to build a really awesome (and very talented) network of AEC professionals who live and/or work in New Jersey. I would like to continue to build upon that foundation and create more opportunities for other New Jersey based members to get involved and play a role in our success.
- f you were to create a slogan for your life, what would the slogan be? Maybe more of a quote than a slogan, but it comes from Dr. Seuss’ famous book Oh, the Places You’ll Go, of course. “And will you succeed? Yes! You will indeed! 98 and ¾ percent guaranteed!” To me, it means that nothing in life is promised, but with hard work, determination, and a lot of positivity you can accomplish great things.
- What’s your purple power? (i.e. what makes you remarkable?) I’d like to think it’s my positivity, especially in challenging or stressful situations. I try my best to keep a positive yet realistic outlook when I’m working and communicating with others. I have found that when you can help facilitate strong team chemistry and morale, it helps everyone better understand their roles and enables them to bring their best effort to the table. And, at the end of the day, hopefully everyone walks away feeling good about each other and the experience!
Yay, Chris! Way to take charge and grow as a leader in our organization. I’m excited to see what’s next for you!
To everyone reading this post, I hope you get a chance to meet Chris at one of our events this Spring.
Cheers to a fruitful season full of growth,
Make the most of your SMPS membership by:
- Attending chapter events;
- Volunteering for one of our committees;
- Becoming a Certified Professional Services Marketer (CPSM);
- Tapping into the resources available on MySMPS.
Not currently a member?
Learn more about joining SMPS today!