Marketing Director, NY, Associate
- Member, SMPS-NY
- Director, Leadership Committee
What’s next for marketers in the AEC industry? We are in a fast-paced industry, where in order to be relevant, we must constantly grow, create, and redefine ourselves. Marketers are action-oriented and usually at the forefront of change. In fact, we are essential in rolling out change for our firms and the AEC industry.
This year, our half-day leadership workshop was turned inside-out. Instead of cultivating individual skills, we did something new. We asked our participants to engage and contribute in an honest way to the content of the workshop. The result was an outcome highly focused on our members and marketers at numerous levels in the AEC industry. We examined where we are now and where we as marketers want to be. We asked hard questions, including the following:
- What is the current state of being for us as marketers and business developers?
- What is working?
- What is not working?
- If change is needed, what could that change be and how can we create effective change to reach our goals?
Change is important to leadership. Being a change agent does many things, one of which is helping people to move from one space to another. For example, when actions are at a standstill or in a negative space, a change agent can move the energy to a positive, empowered space conducive to high performance and accomplishments. A true change agent can identify any gaps and take measures to move the team to a stronger space. During one of our past leadership panel discussions with key experts from the public sector, each participant agreed that having change agents on their team was critical to their success as individuals and as firms. Change is a valuable tool that allows leaders to innovate and create something entirely new for their firms. It has the potential to help leaders of all types construct a successful vision for the future, inspiring passion, motivation, and empowerment.
So the questions we face today are:
- If we have solutions and we put these ideas into action, what will be the effect of our efforts and can we implement change?
- Have we reached the top of our game?
- Can we expand this game to reach new levels?
- More importantly, have we created our own illusion of the top, and if so, can we move ourselves further upwards?
- What needs to change in order for us to reach the level of leadership we envision for ourselves in the future?
- We all know it only takes one small step from one person to start the ripple effect of change. Will this be you?
If you are interested in finding out how you can volunteer with the Leadership Committee and take these issues head on, don’t hesitate to reach out: email@example.com.
I look forward to hearing from you soon!